Sadness is often something that can worsen with some people, causing a loss of interest or pleasure in activities that occur daily, which may be depression. In this article, essential oils for depression will be discussed.
What is Depression?
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has stated that over 7.6 percent of people over the age of 12 suffer from depression in a 2-week period. Showing a massive problem for depression caused around the world.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has stated that depression is the most common illness globally and the forefront for disabilities. They evaluate that 350 million people are affected by depression worldwide.
Symptoms of Depression
Depression is divergent from fluctuating moods that are a part of everyday life. Often, depression can come about from the loss of a loved one, but grief is not depression if it does not continue after a length of time.
Symptoms of depression include:
- Lowered mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities happening daily
- Low appetite
- Insomnia or hypersomnia
- Low self-esteem
- Low concentration, indecisive, or cannot think
What Causes Depression?
The Causes of depression can vary from person to person and are often not fully understood by scientists. Depression may not be linked to a single source and can be contributed to multiple sources and make quite a complicated recipe of disaster. Some of the causes include genetics, environmental, psychological and social, and biological.
Some can be at a higher risk of depression with the following:
- Life events are a major one these include: work-related issues, relationships (divorce, friends, and family,) medical concerns, financial instability, and acute stress.
- The Personality also plays a role in depression, those who cannot cope easily or experienced life trauma before are more easily affected.
- Genetic factors have a role in depression; those in the family that are suffering are more likely to make others in the family have depression.
- Trauma that occurred at an earlier age in childhood.
- Certain drugs can generate depression, interferon, beta-blockers, and corticosteroids are some.
- Having depression before can bring about a relapse in depression.
- Head injuries.
- Chronic pain syndromes can also contribute to the problem of depression, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease are some.
How Essential Oils Help Relieve Depression
Essential oils are backed up by research to show that they are great for boosting the mood. The mood is after all the leading cause of depression and is often at its lowest levels in people that are suffering from depression.
The smells of essential oils are carried directly to the brain, where the brain controls the emotional triggers that directly controls the mood. The limbic system directly controls pleasure, pain, and sensory stimuli that control the emotional response to specific situations in the face of danger, fear, depression, and attraction.
Emotions and hormonal levels are a reply to smells. Smells are directly tied to memories and feeling in daily life. They are making essential oils an excellent choice for combating depression directly with their properties to control emotions in positive ways.
Essential Oils for Depression
Bergamot – Bergamot is a great uplifting and antidepressant oil because of its stimulating properties. Bergamot also improves the circulation of blood and has antianxiety features, research done in Thailand showed bergamot to lower the anxiety in rats.
A study done in 2011 showed bergamot might help in the treatment of depression. A blend was used with bergamot, and lavender essential oil and participants were studied based on their pulse rates, blood pressure, breathing rates, and skin temperature. Also, they were also watching their relaxation, calmness, attentiveness, mood, and alertness to see if any behavior had changed throughout the study.
The study had shown that the blend of bergamot and lavender significantly lowered the blood pressure and pulse rate of its participants. It also showed that on an emotional level that they were calmer and more relaxed than other subjects in a placebo group. This study showed the mixture of lavender and bergamot has relaxation properties as well as abilities to treat depression and anxiety within humans.
Lavender – Lavender essential oil a prevalent essential oil due to its sedative and soothing properties, but it also helps to relieve depression. A study published in the International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice showed that 80-milligram capsules of lavender essential oil could help combat depression and anxiety. The study also pointed out that there were no side effects to the treatment, as with medications and psychotropic drug shown to have adverse effects.
Research done in 2012 studied 28 women that were at danger of postpartum depression and showed that diffusing lavender in their home relieved the postnatal depression by significant margins and reduced anxiety after a four-week plan of lavender aromatherapy.
More research done for lavender showed boosted mood for people that have post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD, which directly causes depression. Lavender had outstanding results when improving attitudes, decreased depression by 32.7 percent and relieving sleep disturbances by 47 percent.
Roman Chamomile – Roman Chamomile is an excellent herb for combating stress and boasting relaxation. Common for its use in candles because of its properties.
Roman Chamomile also boosts your emotions by its soothing abilities to help fight depression. Research done in the Alternative Therapies in Health and Pharmacology Review showed that inhaling roman chamomile is recommended as a natural remedy for anxiety and depression and shown in this roman chamomile overview.
Ylang ylang – Ylang ylang possesses excellent abilities to help combat depression and negative emotions that come along with depression. Ylang ylang also has capabilities to fight have negative feelings and provide positive effects in return as shown in this research to help get rid of anger, jealousy, low self-esteem.
Essential Oil Recipes for Depression
Depression Will Affect Me No Longer Roll-on or Inhaler Blend
Depression can happen at any time and affect most aspects of your life with its various symptoms that are not great for productivity. Relieve depression with this inhaler or roll-on on the go!
What You Need:
5 drops Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
3 drops Ylang ylang Essential Oil
Fractionated Coconut Oil (if using roller bottle)
Small Glass Bowl
Personal Inhaler or
10ml Roll-on Bottle
What to Do:
- In a small glass bowl, add essential oils. You can add carrier oil if the scent is too strong.
- For inhaler, remove the bottom cover and remove cotton wick and place in the glass bowl to soak up the oils.
- Using the tweezers, place the cotton wick into the inhaler and place cover on tightly. Inhale gently as needed.
- If using the blend in a roller bottle, remove the ball insert and add essential oils and carrier oil into the bottle.
- Replace ball insert and cap and shake to blend. To use, roll over the back of the neck and behind the ears to help relieve depression.
Massage Away Depression Blend
What a great way to relieve depression simply by massaging way the anxiety or stress that caused the depression and other causes that may have contributed to having to deal with depression. Use this blend to massage away any depression that you may have!
What You Need:
25 drops Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
10 drops Ylang ylang Essential Oil
2-ounce Grapeseed Carrier Oil
2-ounce Squeeze-top Bottle or Container
What to Do:
- In a plastic bottle or container, add essential oils and carrier oil.
- Replace cap and shake well to blend.
- To use, apply a small amount (about a teaspoon) into your palm and massage into the chest, back, or legs area to feel relief from depression.
Depression Bath Salts Soak
Nothing like a good bath to relax away that depression that can occur from a variety of reasons. Relaxation is one of the best ways to calm the body from the stress that may have built up that can lead to depression, so make sure that never happens with this blend for the bath!
What You Need:
½ cup Fine Sea Salts (Dead Sea Salts, Himalayan Pink Salts, Epsom Salts, or a combination of these)
8 drops Lavender Essential Oil
5 drops Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
5 drops Bergamot Essential Oil
1 Tablespoon Fractionated Coconut Oil or Jojoba Oil
1 Ounce Plastic Tub
What to Do:
- In a small bowl, add your salts and a carrier oil, if desired. Add essential oils that you have chosen then to mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Add salt mixture to a small plastic tub for travel and keep container lid tight.
- To use, add salts to a running bath and swish around to dissolve in the bath water. Soak for 15 minutes.
Dealing with depression is something that is a downer on the daily mood and something difficult to deal with. Check out our book Therapeutic Blending With Essential Oil on more oils for depression as well as other ailments.